Family Activity Corner
Niagara Falls and the Falls Avenue Resort is a popular family destination. Keep kids entertained and excited about upcoming visits with our downloadable activities that include colouring pages, games, and Niagara Falls Fun Facts.
Fun Facts about Niagara Falls
- The Gorge extends from Niagara Falls for 11 km (7 miles) downstream
- More than 168,000 cubic meters of water go over the brink every minute
- The plunge pool beneath the falls is 35m(100 feet) deep.
- Niagara Falls generates close to 4.4 million kilowatts (5 million horsepower)
- The Niagara generating stations supply one-quarter of all power used in New York State and Ontario.
- The word “Niagara” was derived from the Iroquois Indian word “Onguiaahra” meaning “the strait”
- Niagara Falls are the second largest falls in the world next to Victoria Falls in South Africa. What makes Niagara Falls spectacular is the combination of volume and height.
- The only occurrence of both the American and Horseshoe falls being turned off, was in 1848, when Ice jams formed in Lake Erie near Buffalo, stopped the flow of water to the Falls. The stoppage lasted only 30 hours.
- The American Falls were “turned off” for a seven months stretch in 1969, by the US Army Corps of Engineers to allow for repairs to be made to the eroding face of the American Falls.
- Niagara Falls was formed 12,000 years ago by glacial erosion.
- Scientific models suggest that the Falls erode at a pace of 1 foot every decade.